What should I do if my child has bipolar disorder?

The entire topic of bipolar disorder in children and adolescents is a confusing one, even within the medical community. It is understandable then, that as a parent, you may be confused as well. Skepticism and disbelief are common initial reactions, sometimes with good reason. On the other hand, it is important for parents to not allow their own confusion and fears to interfere with finding the proper help for one's child. With so much information readily accessible from reliable resources, a little self-education can go a long way in helping your child and family. With the correct information, you will be prepared to seek and obtain the most appropriate intervention and treatment for your child and family. With proper guidance and proper treatment, you will be providing your child with the best chance of living a happy, healthy, fulfilling, and successful life.

Continue Learning about Bipolar Disorder In Children & Teens

As a teen, how do I tell my friends that I have bipolar disorder?
Ms. Julie A. FastMs. Julie A. Fast
Bipolar disorder is no longer a taboo subject. I’ve heard kids in high school talk about it openly. ...
What FDA approved medicines treat bipolar in children and teens?
NONE. That is, as of right now, there are no approved medications for children under the age of 10...
Can children and adolescents develop bipolar disorder?
International Bipolar FoundationInternational Bipolar Foundation
Both children and adolescents can develop bipolar disorder. It is more likely to affect the children...
Why should I be understanding of a bipolar child's behavior?
If we can understand that the child or adolescent whose behaviors are the result of, or at least inf...