How should my child be evaluated for bipolar disorder?

Because of the difficulty in diagnosing bipolar disorder in youth, it is critical to get a longitudinal perspective of the child's behaviour to determine how best to understand what is observed on any given day. A thorough evaluation should be done by a healthcare professional, who should:
  • Create a timeline to determine the episodic nature of symptoms and their relationship to relevant developmental issues
  • Conduct a structured interview to determine differential diagnosis and/or other comorbid conditions that may exist
  • Generate a 3-generation or diagram to determine family history and family dynamic information
  • Administer a symptom severity (depression and mania) rating scale
  • Complete a global rating scale to track outcomes
  • Generate a mood log so the family can monitor treatment and share results with treatment providers

Continue Learning about Bipolar Disorder In Children & Teens

How can I help my child or teen with bipolar disorder?
Keith StarKeith Star
Learn all you can about this illness by reading books, and talking to your doctor. Get support from ...
How does keeping a mood chart help a child with bipolar disorder?
By keeping a daily journal or chart of your child's mood swings, you can help the bipolar disord...
How can I tell if a child or adolescent has bipolar disorder?
International Bipolar FoundationInternational Bipolar Foundation
Bipolar disorder in children and adolescents can be hard to tell apart from other problems that may ...
Can children and adolescents develop bipolar disorder?
Both children and adolescents can develop bipolar disorder. It is more likely to affect the children...