How should I choose a doctor for my child with bipolar disorder?

Find a pediatrician or child psychiatrist (or pediatric psychiatrist) who specializes in mood disorders. Be persistent in finding someone who has had extensive experience with children manifesting symptoms of all kinds of mood disorders. Ask the doctor or pediatric psychiatrist whether they've treated any children with pediatric bipolar disorder before. Ask them their opinion of the debate surrounding this mood disorder.

Continue Learning about Bipolar Disorder In Children & Teens

Should I tell my child's school about his or her bipolar disorder?
Charles J. Sophy, MDCharles J. Sophy, MD
Telling others about your child’s bipolar disorder is a very personal decision. The stigma surroundi...
More Answers
What can I expect from the doctor treating my child's bipolar disorder?
Donna Hill Howes, RNDonna Hill Howes, RN
The doctor will want to know all about your child's mood symptoms, the child's personal medical hist...
More Answers
Can a child or teen with bipolar disorder also have ADHD?
Keith StarKeith Star
Children with bipolar disorder may display an array of symptoms. They may also have Attention Defici...
More Answers
What are the risks of untreated bipolar disorder in children and teens?
International Bipolar FoundationInternational Bipolar Foundation
As each year of untreated bipolar disorder in children and adolescents goes by, effective treatments...
More Answers

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.