How can I best deal with my child who has bipolar disorder?

Parenting a child with Bipolar Disorder requires empathy, patience, time, and flexibility. Parents of children diagnosed with the disorder should:
  • Be flexible and empathetic
  • Keep a structured schedule and environment for your child
  • Be prepared (e.g., listen when your child is ready to talk)
  • Praise success (praise specific behaviours, and measure success in comparison to "usual" behaviors)
  • Speak with positives (replace don'ts with dos: "Don't hit your brother" should be "Please keep your hands and feet to yourself")
  • Reduce stressors (be sure to build in a buffer of time and energy into your day so that you are prepared for unexpected events)
  • Do frequent mood checks (avoid tackling problems and issues important to school or family functioning when the child's mood is not stable)
Although it may not be obvious, children and adolescents with unstable moods as the result of bipolar disorder are often frightened about how out of control they feel. Although challenging, it is important for parents to do all that they can to stay in the role of the adult. Staying calm in the face of upsetting situations and reacting to your child's out of control behavior in a thoughtful and rational way that models being "in control" is not always easy. However, such a stance can have a significant impact on increasing the chances of a positive outcome for your child and your family. Your child needs you and is relying on you to make the right choices and decisions while shepherding your child through childhood and into adulthood. Learn as much as you can from the reliable resources available, and make the best decisions you can for the health, safety and future of your child.

Continue Learning about Bipolar Disorder In Children & Teens

What can I expect from the doctor treating my teenager's bipolar disorder?
If you are meeting with your teenager's psychiatrist or mental health expert for the first time they...
Can bipolar disorder mimic ADHD symptoms in children and teens?
Oh, yes. This is one of the reasons diagnosing ADHD and bipolar disorder is not as easy as 1, 2, 3. ...
What should I do if my child has bipolar disorder?
International Bipolar FoundationInternational Bipolar Foundation
The entire topic of bipolar disorder in children and adolescents is a confusing one, even within the...
What can children and teens expect from treatment in bipolar disorder?
With treatment, children and teens with bipolar disorder can get better over time. It helps when doc...