How can I cope with my child’s diagnosis of bipolar disorder?

Receiving a diagnosis of bipolar disorder can be incredibly difficult. However, there are a number of things you can do to relieve the stress and overwhelming nature of the diagnosis. Here are just a few.

•  Learn as much as you can about your child’s condition so you understand the mood swings and what triggers them.
  •  Make sure you understand which medications he will need and the side effects they may cause.
  • Don’t forget about you. Your feelings are just as important as your child’s. Make sure you have a good support system. You could even join a support group to share your feelings and experiences. This will help you better advocate and support your child.
  • Don’t neglect your own physical and mental health. Take care of yourself! Get sleep, eat well (avoid the five food felons), and exercise (10,000 steps a day. No excuses!). Try yoga, deep breathing, or other stress-relieving techniques. Get involved in a variety of activities, even ones you and your child can do together.

Soon you’ll be the one giving advice about what coping techniques work best!

Mark Moronell, MD
If your child is newly diagnosed with bipolar disorder, you might be having a difficult time accepting the diagnosis. You may be worried that your child has to take mood-stabilizing medications or angry that your child has to contend with this disorder. Working with your child's doctors, you can establish some good habits that will help you and your child learn to live with bipolar disorder and manage the treatment effectively. The first step is to learn all about bipolar disorder, the different moods and mood triggers that may affect your child. Then learn about how the disorder is treated with mood-stabilizing medications, and their benefits, side effects and potential risks. It is also very helpful to join a support group for parents of children with bipolar disorder. Meeting other moms and dads who also have a child with the disorder and discovering how they cope with the challenges of living with it day to day, can provide you with invaluable tools for managing whatever comes up. You can learn from their experiences and share compassion and support with one another. It is also helpful if you find healthy and creative outlets for you and your child. You might start a new hobby together, or take a parent-child exercise class at the local Y. These kinds of activities help you and your child bond in ways that do not involve doctor visits and medications.

Continue Learning about Bipolar Disorder In Children & Teens

How can I help my child when he is in a manic state?
While your child is in a full-blown manic episode, you can help by keeping him safe and calling fo...
Can children and adolescents develop bipolar disorder?
International Bipolar FoundationInternational Bipolar Foundation
Both children and adolescents can develop bipolar disorder. It is more likely to affect the children...
What can children and teens expect from treatment in bipolar disorder?
With treatment, children and teens with bipolar disorder can get better over time. It helps when doc...
What kind of treatment is given to children and teens for bipolar disorder?
A doctor treating a young person with bipolar disorder will prescribe medication to control mood swi...