Are there techniques that can help a child with bipolar disorder sleep?

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Family Medicine
Some technique that will help your child include: Put your child to bed and wake them up at the same time, weekdays and weekends. Give your child time to relax each evening before bedtime. This may be spent reading a book, doing stretches, or listening to soft music. Do what is necessary to calm the child's mind and remind their body that it is time for sleep. Make sure your child spends plenty of time out of doors in the natural sunlight each day. This helps to regulate the child's circadian rhythm, which is important for falling asleep easily at nighttime. Make sure your child has enough exercise during the day, but not too close to bedtime or the child will feel keyed-up. If your child cannot sleep, you might massage the back lightly. Keep your child's bedroom temperature comfortable, not too hot or too cold. Limit noise in your child's bedroom. Install black-out shades to keep light out of your child's bedroom. Make sure there are no distractions for the child, such as a blaring TV set in the den, or a TV, computer or digital games in the bedroom. Talk with your child's doctor if these tips do not help increase sleep.

Continue Learning about Bipolar Disorder In Children & Teens

What are signs of bipolar disorder in children?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
Signs of possible bipolar disorder in children include: 1. Poor sleep.2. Marked depression. In ch...
As a parent, how can I get my child to talk about his bipolar disorder?
Ms. Julie A. FastMs. Julie A. Fast
Moms and dads have very different relationships with their children. I’ve learned this through years...
Can my child take adult bipolar medicine?
In some cases, yes. The FDA has approved certain medications (lithium, certain antipsychotics, etc...
How are manic episodes in children treated?
MediGuardMediGuard
Manic episodes can be an exceptionally difficult condition to control initially and it is further co...