Why is it important to get a diagnosis if I have bipolar disorder?

Ruth White, MPH
Social Work
Suicidal thoughts and behaviors can accompany other symptoms of bipolar disorder, and are more likely to occur during the first few years or episodes of the illness. Suicide risk can last a lifetime unless bipolar disorder is properly treated. This is the major reason to get the correct diagnosis and start appropriate treatment of symptoms to reduce the likelihood of severe symptoms. Unfortunately, of all mental illnesses, bipolar disorder has the highest rate of suicide.
Bipolar 101: A Practical Guide to Identifying Triggers, Managing Medications, Coping with Symptoms, and More

After receiving a bipolar diagnosis, you need clear answers. Bipolar 101 is a straightforward guide to understanding bipolar disorder. It includes all the information you need to control your...

Continue Learning about Bipolar Disorder Diagnosis

What are common misdiagnoses for bipolar disorder?
Ruth White, MPHRuth White, MPH
Bipolar disorder can be misdiagnosed, especially as unipolar depression, because people often se...
What tests will my primary care doctor use to diagnose bipolar disorder?
To make a bipolar disorder diagnosis, your doctor will perform several examinations and tests. Some ...
How do I prepare for an appointment to diagnose bipolar disorder?
You can prepare for a doctor's appointment to diagnose bipolar disorder by putting together a go...
How Is Bipolar Disorder Diagnosed?
How Is Bipolar Disorder Diagnosed?