How can I help my doctor diagnose bipolar disorder?

Be a detective yourself and track your mood changes and sleep patterns daily. Let your family and friends be part of the process, too. They have unique insight into the changes in your mood and behavior. Don’t hide anything. Keep a journal to show your doc. The more information you reveal, the more help you provide your doctor.
Ruth White, MPH
Social Work
It's very important that you bring to your first or second visit a journal, logs, and an informant (such as a spouse, partner, sibling, or close friend) who can give a more objective picture of your illness. Mental health professionals find this information extremely helpful, if not essential, for making an accurate diagnosis.
Bipolar 101: A Practical Guide to Identifying Triggers, Managing Medications, Coping with Symptoms, and More

After receiving a bipolar diagnosis, you need clear answers. Bipolar 101 is a straightforward guide to understanding bipolar disorder. It includes all the information you need to control your...

Continue Learning about Bipolar Disorder Diagnosis

How is bipolar disorder identified?
World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)
It is now commonly acknowledged that there is a spectrum of bipolar illness which includes several...
How do I find out if I have bipolar disorder?
Cycling between the poles of high-high (mania) and low-low (depression) is the very essence of the d...
How do I know if a bipolar disorder diagnosis is accurate?
Sheri Van DijkSheri Van Dijk
Bipolar disorder is a complex illness that presents differently from person to person, and can even ...
How Is Bipolar Disorder Diagnosed?
How Is Bipolar Disorder Diagnosed?