Does environment play a role in getting bipolar disorder?

Ruth White, MPH
Social Work

This is unclear because the onset of bipolar disorder does not have a set pattern. Stress can cause the onset of symptoms but as it is difficult to mark the onset of the illness it is hard to know the role of environmental factors in GETTING bipolar disorder. However, environmental factors do play a role in the onset of symptoms and episodes of bipolar disorder. In particular, stress can be particularly problematic for people with mental illnesses of all sorts including bipolar disorder.

Continue Learning about Bipolar Disorder Causes & Risk Factors

Can other diseases cause bipolar disorder?
The causes of bipolar disorder aren't fully understood. Scientists currently think that people who d...
If my sibling has bipolar disorder, will I get it?
If you have a sibling with bipolar disorder, you may have an increased chance of getting bipolar dis...
Does bipolar disorder run in families?
Scientists have found a higher occurrence of bipolar disorder in relatives of others with bipolar di...
Does childhood trauma cause bipolar disorder?
Ruth White, MPHRuth White, MPH
Recent studies have found that childhood trauma does not directly cause—but does hasten—the onse...