Why do I need a kidney biopsy?

A kidney biopsy is performed by using a thin needle with a sharp cutting edge to slice small pieces of kidney tissue for examination under a microscope and may be done occassionally for the following reasons:
  • to identify a specific disease process and determine whether it will respond to treatment
  • to evaluate the amount of damage that has occurred in the kidney
  • to find out why a kidney transplant may not be doing well

Continue Learning about Diagnostic Biopsy

What is a breast biopsy?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
A surgical breast biopsy (often called an open breast biopsy) is a minor operation in which a short ...
What happens to a child before a bone marrow biopsy?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
In preparation for a bone marrow test, the child lies on her side or on her stomach on an exam bed. ...
Why might I need a prostate biopsy?
Dr. Simon J. Hall, MDDr. Simon J. Hall, MD
An elevated PSA and the size of the prostate are used in conjunction to determine when a biopsy is n...
Should I have muscle biopsy test?
Deborah DavisDeborah Davis
Patients have unexplained muscle weakness, or myopathy,  from a variety of diseases.  Some are treat...