Why do I need a kidney biopsy?

A kidney biopsy is performed by using a thin needle with a sharp cutting edge to slice small pieces of kidney tissue for examination under a microscope and may be done occassionally for the following reasons:
  • to identify a specific disease process and determine whether it will respond to treatment
  • to evaluate the amount of damage that has occurred in the kidney
  • to find out why a kidney transplant may not be doing well

Continue Learning about Diagnostic Biopsy

Why might I need a prostate biopsy?
Dr. Simon J. Hall, MDDr. Simon J. Hall, MD
An elevated PSA and the size of the prostate are used in conjunction to determine when a biopsy is n...
What procedures are used to test bone marrow for diseases?
Methodist Children’s HospitalMethodist Children’s Hospital
To test bone marrow for diseases, bone marrow can easily and very safely be taken from people for di...
What is a colposcopy and cervical biopsy?
I have had several, so let me walk you through it. You lie down on the exam table like you do for a ...
Why would a child need a bone marrow biopsy?
A child may need a bone marrow biopsy to test for conditions such as leukemia, tumors, immune defici...