Why might I need a prostate biopsy?

An elevated PSA and the size of the prostate are used in conjunction to determine when a biopsy is needed. Watch as Simon Hall, MD, chair of the Urology Department at The Mount Sinai Medical Center, discusses prostate cancer biopsies.

You might need a prostate biopsy if your doctor feels a nodule during a prostate exam, which can be a sign of cancer. Additionally, if your doctor performs a screening blood test for prostate cancer and the results are elevated enough, it might prompt a prostate biopsy.

Continue Learning about Diagnostic Biopsy

What is a biopsy?
John A. ChabotJohn A. Chabot
A biopsy is a medical test involving the removal of cells or a small piece of tissue for examina...
What is a kidney biopsy?
A kidney biopsy, also called a "renal biopsy," is a diagnostic test that involves removing small sam...
When should I call the doctor after a muscle biopsy?
Deborah DavisDeborah Davis
The laboratory results from a muscle biopsy take about 1-2 weeks to be completed by the pathologist....
What procedures are used to test bone marrow for diseases?
Methodist Children’s HospitalMethodist Children’s Hospital
To test bone marrow for diseases, bone marrow can easily and very safely be taken from people for di...