Why would a child need a bone marrow biopsy?

A child may need a bone marrow biopsy to test for conditions such as leukemia, tumors, immune deficiencies or other diseases in which the bone marrow is not functioning properly. It is important to be able to look at the bone marrow under the microscope to examine what’s growing.

Intermountain Registered Dietitians
Nutrition & Dietetics Specialist

Your child may need a bone marrow biopsy if your doctor needs different information than what can be found through blood tests. Looking at the bone marrow can help your doctor diagnose different diseases. Your doctor can also find out how far a disease has progressed and how effective treatments have been.

Continue Learning about Diagnostic Biopsy

What is an endometrial biopsy?
Alan B. Copperman, MDAlan B. Copperman, MD
This procedure involves a biopsy of a small amount of tissue from the endometrium shortly before...
How is a biopsy used to detect prostate cancer?
If urinary difficulties are present, or the results of a digital rectal exam or a prostate-specific ...
How is a breast biopsy performed?
TriStar StoneCrest Medical CenterTriStar StoneCrest Medical Center
A breast biopsy is a procedure in which your doctor will numb the skin over an area of your breast w...
What is a colposcopy and cervical biopsy?
I have had several, so let me walk you through it. You lie down on the exam table like you do for a ...