What is a biopsy?

John A. Chabot
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism

A biopsy is a medical test involving the removal of cells or a small piece of tissue for examination.

A biopsy is the removal of cells or tissues for examination by a pathologist. The pathologist may study the tissue under a microscope or perform other tests on the cells or tissue. There are many different types of biopsy procedures. The most common types include: (1) incisional biopsy, in which only a sample of tissue is removed; (2) excisional biopsy, in which an entire lump or suspicious area is removed; and (3) needle biopsy, in which a sample of tissue or fluid is removed with a needle. When a wide needle is used, the procedure is called a core biopsy. When a thin needle is used, the procedure is called a fine-needle aspiration biopsy.
This answer is based on source information from The National Cancer Institute.
A biopsy is a surgical procedure in which tissue samples are removed from the body for examination under a microscope.

A biopsy is a diagnostic test in which a sample of tissue is taken from the suspected affected area. The sample is examined by a specialist called a pathologist to look for cancerous cells. While other tests may suggest that someone has appendix cancer, this is the only test that can definitely give an answer.

Continue Learning about Diagnostic Biopsy

When should I call the doctor after a muscle biopsy?
Deborah DavisDeborah Davis
The laboratory results from a muscle biopsy take about 1-2 weeks to be completed by the pathologist....
What is a colposcopy and cervical biopsy?
I have had several, so let me walk you through it. You lie down on the exam table like you do for a ...
What is a kidney biopsy?
A kidney biopsy, also called a "renal biopsy," is a diagnostic test that involves removing small sam...
What procedures are used to test bone marrow for diseases?
Methodist Children’s HospitalMethodist Children’s Hospital
To test bone marrow for diseases, bone marrow can easily and very safely be taken from people for di...