What is a biopsy?

A biopsy is a diagnostic test in which a sample of tissue is taken from the suspected affected area. The sample is examined by a specialist called a pathologist to look for cancerous cells. While other tests may suggest that someone has appendix cancer, this is the only test that can definitely give an answer.

A biopsy is a surgical procedure in which tissue samples are removed from the body for examination under a microscope.
A biopsy is the removal of cells or tissues for examination by a pathologist. The pathologist may study the tissue under a microscope or perform other tests on the cells or tissue. There are many different types of biopsy procedures. The most common types include: (1) incisional biopsy, in which only a sample of tissue is removed; (2) excisional biopsy, in which an entire lump or suspicious area is removed; and (3) needle biopsy, in which a sample of tissue or fluid is removed with a needle. When a wide needle is used, the procedure is called a core biopsy. When a thin needle is used, the procedure is called a fine-needle aspiration biopsy.
This answer is based on source information from The National Cancer Institute.
John A. Chabot
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism

A biopsy is a medical test involving the removal of cells or a small piece of tissue for examination.

Continue Learning about Diagnostic Biopsy

How is a biopsy used to detect prostate cancer?
The Mount Sinai Health SystemThe Mount Sinai Health System
A biopsy is a technique used to determine if prostate cancer is present in the gland. Small samples ...
What is a colposcopy and cervical biopsy?
I have had several, so let me walk you through it. You lie down on the exam table like you do for a ...
Why do I need a kidney biopsy?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
A kidney biopsy is performed by using a thin needle with a sharp cutting edge to slice small pieces ...
What changes to my breast should I expect after a breast biopsy?
TriStar StoneCrest Medical CenterTriStar StoneCrest Medical Center
After a breast biopsy you may notice a hard lump, soreness and bruising. This should go away over th...