What happens after a breast biopsy?

The tissue obtained through FNA, stereotactic biopsy or surgery is then sent to the pathologist who will examine the tissue in the lab to determine if the cells are cancerous. Additionally, if the tissue is cancerous, the pathologist will determine what type of cancerous cells are present, which is critical in determining the best treatment for the disease.

Continue Learning about Diagnostic Biopsy

What procedures are used to test bone marrow for diseases?
Methodist Children’s HospitalMethodist Children’s Hospital
To test bone marrow for diseases, bone marrow can easily and very safely be taken from people for di...
Should I have muscle biopsy test?
Deborah DavisDeborah Davis
Patients have unexplained muscle weakness, or myopathy,  from a variety of diseases.  Some are treat...
How is a breast biopsy performed?
TriStar StoneCrest Medical CenterTriStar StoneCrest Medical Center
A breast biopsy is a procedure in which your doctor will numb the skin over an area of your breast w...
What is a colposcopy and cervical biopsy?
I have had several, so let me walk you through it. You lie down on the exam table like you do for a ...