What changes to my breast should I expect after a breast biopsy?

After a breast biopsy, you may note the following changes in your breast that will return to normal in a few weeks:

• Bruising or a flat spot over the operative site
  • Slight redness and/or swelling at the incision site

After a breast biopsy you may notice a hard lump, soreness and bruising. This should go away over the course of one to two weeks. If the bruising is spreading or you develop significant pain or redness around the site, notify your doctor.

Continue Learning about Diagnostic Biopsy

Why do I need a kidney biopsy?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
A kidney biopsy is performed by using a thin needle with a sharp cutting edge to slice small pieces ...
What is a breast biopsy?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
A surgical breast biopsy (often called an open breast biopsy) is a minor operation in which a short ...
How is a breast biopsy performed?
TriStar StoneCrest Medical CenterTriStar StoneCrest Medical Center
A breast biopsy is a procedure in which your doctor will numb the skin over an area of your breast w...
What is a biopsy?
John A. ChabotJohn A. Chabot
A biopsy is a medical test involving the removal of cells or a small piece of tissue for examina...