What changes to my breast should I expect after a breast biopsy?

After a breast biopsy, you may note the following changes in your breast that will return to normal in a few weeks:

• Bruising or a flat spot over the operative site
  • Slight redness and/or swelling at the incision site

After a breast biopsy you may notice a hard lump, soreness and bruising. This should go away over the course of one to two weeks. If the bruising is spreading or you develop significant pain or redness around the site, notify your doctor.

Continue Learning about Diagnostic Biopsy

What is tumor banking?
Tumor banking is where excess tissue from a tumor removed during surgery is preserved and stored for...
What is an endometrial biopsy?
Alan B. Copperman, MDAlan B. Copperman, MD
This procedure involves a biopsy of a small amount of tissue from the endometrium shortly before...
Why would a child need a bone marrow biopsy?
Methodist Children’s HospitalMethodist Children’s Hospital
A child may need a bone marrow biopsy to test for conditions such as leukemia, tumors, immune defici...
Why might I need a prostate biopsy?
Dr. Simon J. Hall, MDDr. Simon J. Hall, MD
An elevated PSA and the size of the prostate are used in conjunction to determine when a biopsy is n...