What should I expect after a core needle biopsy of my breast?

After your core needle biopsy (a way to take a tissue sample from the breast to test and see if it is cancerous) the nurse will clean the biopsy site and apply a special dressing. The nurse will then give you an ice pack to place inside your bra.

The doctor or nurse will contact you with your biopsy results approximately 24 to 48 hours (one to two working days) after the procedure.

Continue Learning about Diagnostic Biopsy

How can endometrial biopsies predict the chances of successful pregnancy?
Greenville Health SystemGreenville Health System
After ovulation the lining to the womb or endometrium, prepares for implantation of the fertilized e...
When would a testicular biopsy be performed in diagnosing male infertility?
A testicular biopsy is considered as part of an infertility workup if a man has no sperm on a semen ...
What is an endometrial biopsy?
Alan B. Copperman, MDAlan B. Copperman, MD
This procedure involves a biopsy of a small amount of tissue from the endometrium shortly before...
How is a biopsy used to detect prostate cancer?
If urinary difficulties are present, or the results of a digital rectal exam or a prostate-specific ...