What happens to a child after a bone marrow biopsy?

After the bone marrow aspirate and biopsy your child's skin is washed with antibacterial soap. Pressure is placed on the site for a few minutes to stop the bleeding. A tight-fitting bandage will be put on the area where the test was done. This dressing should stay on for 24 hours to prevent bleeding. After 24 hours, the dressing needs to be removed. It is normal for your child to be sore for a few days.

Continue Learning about Diagnostic Biopsy

What is an endometrial biopsy?
Alan B. Copperman, MDAlan B. Copperman, MD
This procedure involves a biopsy of a small amount of tissue from the endometrium shortly before...
Why would a child need a bone marrow biopsy?
Methodist Children’s HospitalMethodist Children’s Hospital
A child may need a bone marrow biopsy to test for conditions such as leukemia, tumors, immune defici...
How is a biopsy used to detect prostate cancer?
If urinary difficulties are present, or the results of a digital rectal exam or a prostate-specific ...
What is a colposcopy and cervical biopsy?
I have had several, so let me walk you through it. You lie down on the exam table like you do for a ...