How is benign paroxysmal positional vertigo linked to the ears?

Your ears contain organs, fluid, and hair-like nerve receptors that help you to balance and perceive motion. Within the ears are three inner ear canals that contain nerve receptors that monitor and send signals to your brain about the movement of your head. When calcium particles from other parts of the ear drift into the semicircular inner ear canal, they disturb the nerve receptors which then send mixed signals to the brain, causing you to feel dizzy and or vertigo.

Continue Learning about Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV)

What questions should I ask my doctor about BPPV?
You may have several concerns about symptoms related to benign paroxysmal positional vertigo. It's a...
Can my benign paroxysmal positional vertigo return after it's been treated?
Treatment options such as the Epley maneuver can successfully treat symptoms of benign paroxysmal po...
Is benign paroxysmal positional vertigo life-threatening?
Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo is not life-threatening. BPPV symptoms can be uncomfortable and...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with BPPV?
Vertigo can be frightening. It's important to understanding that symptoms related to benign paroxysm...