Why is being fit good for your physical and psychological health?

The human body was designed and evolved to function while being regularly. Throughout most of early human development people were very active performing the basic activities of daily life. Hunting, fishing, gathering food, preparing it, keeping dwellings safe and stable, gathering fire wood, clean drinking water and looking after children required hours a day of physical activity. Since human evolved while performing lots of physical activity, the human body functions best when very active. Studies show that physical fitness improves nearly every aspect of human function both mental and physical. Active people live longer, have lower levels of disease, and lower levels of depression.
Being fit defines every aspect of your health -- not just physically but also your emotional and mental well-being. In fact, they're interconnected. Smart eating and active living are instrumental to all three. Being fit gives you physical and psychological benefits, including:
  • Energy to be more productive and do things that are important to you.
  • A positive outlook to handle the mental challenges and emotional ups and downs to deal with stress.
  • Reduced risk for many health problems, including heart disease, cancer and diabetes.
  • The opportunity to look and feel at your best.
  • Physical strength and endurance to protect yourself in case of emergency.
  • A better chance for a higher quality of life and perhaps and longer one, too.

Continue Learning about Benefits of Regular Exercise

How much exercise should I do to reduce my risk of heart disease?
The American Heart Association recommendation that you should perform moderate-intensity aerobic act...
Why should I take time from work to exercise?
Work related injuries are on the rise and costing companies money and employees significant pain. Th...
How Beneficial Is Exercise with a Partner?
What Is the Best Way To Control Cholestrol?