How much exercise do I need to feel happier?

The American Heart Association in 2008 found that walking 20 to 30 minutes two to three times a week can boost your happiness. Regular exercise reduces the body's level of the stress hormone cortisol and increases feel-good endorphins.

Engaging in at least 30 minutes of prolonged and continuos exercise at a moderate to intense level will be sufficient to help you feel happier.  Prolonged and continuous exercise boosts your mood by stimulating your brain to increase the release of certain chemicals messengers that help increase feelings of happiness.  In addition, other chemicals are released to block the messengers that tell your brain you feel pain and stress. 

Continue Learning about Benefits of Regular Exercise

Exercise to Extend Your Life
Exercise to Extend Your Life
According to the World Health Organization’s data on global health risks, physical inactivity is the fourth leading risk factor of death worldwide, ra...
What are the health benefits of regular moderate exercise?
Dr. Dianne L. Zwicke, MDDr. Dianne L. Zwicke, MD
Heart and lung fitness is the most important health reason for regular exercise. But regular exercis...
How can I learn exercises that are good for my back?
Harris H. McIlwain, MDHarris H. McIlwain, MD
Consider consulting with a physical therapist or an American College of Sports Medicine certified ex...
How Much Excercise Should People Get?
How Much Excercise Should People Get?