How can exercise help me deal with panic attacks?

If you're no stranger to sweaty palms, frantic thoughts, a racing heart, and other signs of a looming panic attack, you might find that physical activity can keep you cool as a cucumber. It can dial down your reaction enough to keep little blips of anxiety (like when you can't find your car in a humongous parking lot) from snowballing into something bigger and scarier.

Regular activity helps you stay calm when you feel early signs of Big Trouble. (And by the way, you're not alone. Nearly one in 20 adults will deal with panic at some point in his or her lifetime.) This is the latest addition to the ways being active improves emotional as well as physical health. It's already proved to ease depression, reduce normal anxiety, and relieve stress. Whether you're seeing a therapist to deal with panic or trying to cope with a milder case on your own, exercise is a great add-on.

Try it for mild cases of nerves, too. A morning bike ride might ease those butterflies before you give a speech at the local Rotary Club or present to your boss. Just 30 minutes of movement decreases stress hormones and increases feel-good brain chemicals. Your mind quiets down, and you can focus on the key things -- like solving whatever triggered that "uh-oh" feeling in the first place.

Exercise also eases depression.

Continue Learning about Benefits of Regular Exercise

Exercise and Appetite: A Weight Loss Tip
If you exercise more, you're going to eat more, right? Not so fast. According to a study, adding more exercise to your life will indeed rev up your p...
Will the benefits of exercise last if I stop working out?
Sari GreavesSari Greaves
Researchers from the U.K. and Australia looked at the physical activity levels of 2400 women and...
Can exercise help prevent memory loss?
Physical activity helps prevent loss of gray matter and promotes the growth of neurons that proc...
How Can I Have a Heart-Healthy Lifestyle?