How can exercise help my spine?

Researchers have found that individuals with chronic low-back pain (~80% of U.S. adults) have decreased activation of certain muscles around their spine and pelvis. Numerous studies support the role of core training in the prevention and rehabilitation of low-back pain. In addition, exercise programs that include specific core stabilization training tend to be more effective than manual therapy alone (e.g massage) or traditional medical management (pain relievers) for reducing and preventing general back pain. Individuals with low-back pain have a decreased chance of injury, less recurrence of injury, and improved performance measures after undergoing an active rehabilitation program aimed at improving strength and coordination of the core muscles (muscles that support your spine and pelvis). Some common exercises include bridges, lateral tube walking, planks, and bird dog.

Gerald M. Silverman
Chiropractic Medicine
The single most important task of good spinal hygiene is regular exercise, which removes waste from within the muscles and stimulates the functions of muscles, joints, and bones. For your neck and back, exercise is the fountain of youth. It keeps the muscles flexible, the joints loose, and the bones strong.
Your Miraculous Back: A Step-By-Step Guide to Relieving Neck & Back Pain

Many of us complain about our 'bad back,' but this book argues that our backs are, without exception, amazing examples of bioengineering, capable of dramatic feats of strength, flexibility, and...

Continue Learning about Benefits of Regular Exercise

Sweat: How Exercise Will Keep You Young
Sweat: How Exercise Will Keep You Young
Five hundred years ago Ponce de Leon landed in Florida, searching for the Fountain of Youth. (Spoiler alert: Scholars say that’s a myth; the tale was ...
Can exercise help prevent cognitive decline?
Yes Studies show that exercise can delay the effects of aging on the brain and can even decrease the...
What are the benefits of regular exercise?
Dr. Michael T. Murray, MDDr. Michael T. Murray, MD
Benefits of regular exercise include: Musculoskeletal system Increases muscle strength and muscl...
How Can Exercising My Mind Improve My Brain Health?