What breathing exercise do I need to perform daily for a healthy life?

Lisa Oz
Health Education

Speaking of breathing, you need to add conscious breathing to your healthy week activities. Start by breathing normally. Place a hand on your belly, just above your navel, and notice if your hand is floating gently up and down. If not, you are not engaging your diaphragm. So this time as you inhale, keep your chest still and imagine the air filling your abdomen. Make sure your stomach is soft so that it can rise as you inhale and drop as you exhale. Continue this deep diaphragmatic breathing for 10 minutes and repeat every day for the rest of the week.

Adding deep diaphragmatic breathing to your daily routine can help improve blood pressure and reduce stress levels in your life and improve feelings of well being. Lie flat on your back and start with regular breathing and gradually breathe fuller and deeper and attempt to fill your belly completely with breathe. This is diaphragmatic breathing. Doing this for 10 minutes a day has been shown to decrease blood pressure, improve mood and sense of well being, and improve health.

Continue Learning about Benefits of Regular Exercise

The Secret Behind What Happens to Fat When You Exercise
Photo Credit: Phil Gradwell. via Flickr Creative Commons Very few people would question the dynamic benefits of exercise to improve health and wellne...
How does exercise help relieve pain?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
For those with pain, exercise is absolutely essential. Not only does daily exercise and movement hel...
How can I make exercise part of my daily routine?
It is important to find something you enjoy doing because you will be more likely to do it. If y...
How Can I Have a Heart-Healthy Lifestyle?