What is the difference between Bell's palsy and a stroke?

Bell's palsy and strokes differ in both their symptoms and causes.
A stroke usually brings paralysis or weakness to the lower face, while Bell's palsy usually brings paralysis or weakness to an entire side of your face. Also, Bell's palsy only affects your facial area, while a stroke can target the arm and leg of one side of your body. It is very difficult for most people with active Bell's palsy to wrinkle their foreheads or close their eyes, but most people who have had a stroke can do these things.
Bell's palsy is usually triggered by a virus that inflames a certain facial nerve, while strokes are caused by reduced blood supply to the brain. Lastly, Bell's palsy is not generally life-threatening, while a stroke often is.

Continue Learning about Bell's Palsy

Why do people with Bell's palsy often get tested for Lyme disease?
Lyme disease, an illness spread by ticks, has some symptoms that are similar to those of Bell's pals...
How does Bell's palsy affect the body?
Bell's palsy is usually temporary, but sometimes its effects on the body are long-lasting or even pe...
What should I do if I had Bell's Palsy and my eyes keep closing?
Gary S. Hirshfield, MDGary S. Hirshfield, MD
 After Bell's palsy resolves some people are left with spasms and contractures on the side of the fa...
Can Bells Palsy cause headaches?
MediGuardMediGuard
Bells Palsy is a separate phenomenon and more likely than not has an origin in a small herpetic viru...