What is the difference between Bell's palsy and a stroke?

Bell's palsy and strokes differ in both their symptoms and causes.
A stroke usually brings paralysis or weakness to the lower face, while Bell's palsy usually brings paralysis or weakness to an entire side of your face. Also, Bell's palsy only affects your facial area, while a stroke can target the arm and leg of one side of your body. It is very difficult for most people with active Bell's palsy to wrinkle their foreheads or close their eyes, but most people who have had a stroke can do these things.
Bell's palsy is usually triggered by a virus that inflames a certain facial nerve, while strokes are caused by reduced blood supply to the brain. Lastly, Bell's palsy is not generally life-threatening, while a stroke often is.

Continue Learning about Bell's Palsy

How long does it take to recover from Bell's palsy?
In many cases, symptoms of Bell's palsy will begin to improve in as little as two weeks and complete...
Is Bell's palsy serious?
The symptoms, and their severity, of Bell's palsy vary from person to person. Many people see th...
What should I do if I had Bell's Palsy and my eyes keep closing?
Gary S. Hirshfield, MDGary S. Hirshfield, MD
 After Bell's palsy resolves some people are left with spasms and contractures on the side of the fa...
How many people get Bell's palsy?
The viruses that cause Bell's palsy are much more common than Bell's palsy itself is. Only 23 out of...