What medications treat Bell's palsy?

Your doctor may prescribe an antiviral drug that prevents the herpes virus from reproducing itself. (Viruses such as the herpes virus, cytomegalovirus, and the Epstein-Barr virus are why the facial nerve involved in Bell's palsy gets inflamed.) An example of an antiviral drug is acyclovir.

Your doctor may also prescribe a corticosteroid, but only if Bell's palsy has been diagnosed within 48 hours. This is because the corticosteroid is given to help reduce nerve swelling.

Steroids appear to be very effective in reducing nerve damage in Bell's palsy, if they are taken early. Evidence on antiviral drugs is more mixed, and the benefits are likely modest.

Continue Learning about Bell's Palsy Treatment

What kind of physical therapy might I get for Bell's palsy?
A physical therapist might tell you to massage your facial muscles in order to stimulate them. You m...
Are there alternative treatments for Bell's palsy?
Dr. Peter Bongiorno, NDDr. Peter Bongiorno, ND
Bell's palsy is quite a common condition. Often, it occurs in people who experience a great stressor...
Does Bell's palsy go away on its own?
You may recover from Bell's palsy without treatment. Depending on how severe your symptoms are, you ...
Why do I need physical therapy for my Bell's palsy?
Physical therapy will help your facial muscles regain their strength more quickly as your symptoms o...