Is surgery recommended for people with Bell's palsy?

A type of surgery called decompression surgery for people with Bell's palsy is sometimes performed. However, there is controversy over this surgery as many cases of Bell's palsy resolve on their own. The surgeon opens the bony passage surrounding the facial nerve involved in Bell's palsy, releasing the pressure placed on the nerve.

While decompression surgery may not be recommended, plastic surgery may sometimes help people with Bell's palsy look and feel better if the palsy's effects remain for a long time. For example, plastic surgery can help when muscles in the face contract or droop after long periods of disuse.

Continue Learning about Bell's Palsy Treatment

How is Bell's palsy treated?
The treatments for Bell's palsy are aimed at both the virus that causes it and the symptoms that acc...
Does Bell's palsy go away on its own?
You may recover from Bell's palsy without treatment. Depending on how severe your symptoms are, you ...
Are there alternative treatments for Bell's palsy?
The alternative treatments that are available for Bell's palsy mainly treat the symptoms, rather tha...
Why do I need physical therapy for my Bell's palsy?
Physical therapy will help your facial muscles regain their strength more quickly as your symptoms o...