Should I talk to my doctor about my Bell's palsy symptoms?

If you suddenly experience symptoms that look like those of Bell's palsy, such as paralysis on one half of your face, you should go to the emergency room, rather than waiting for a doctor's appointment. It is important to make sure that you are not experiencing a stroke or another illness that is similar to Bell's palsy.

If you have had Bell's palsy in the past, and especially if it runs in your family, you may wish to talk to your doctor about whether or not you are likely to have Bell's palsy again. Since Bell's palsy often occurs when people have another body condition such as pregnancy, diabetes, or a cold or the flu, you may wish to ask your doctor for more information about your condition and how Bell's palsy might affect you individually.

Continue Learning about Bell's Palsy Symptoms

What are the symptoms of Bell's palsy?
American Academy of Ophthalmology's EyeSmartAmerican Academy of Ophthalmology's EyeSmart
You may notice that you cannot smile on one side of your face. Sometimes, patients with Bell’s palsy...
When do most people start to notice symptoms of Bell's palsy?
Greenville Health SystemGreenville Health System
At first, most people notice pain behind one of their ears. A few hours to a few days later, they no...
What can I do to protect my eyes while I have Bell's palsy symptoms?
David R. Demartini, MDDavid R. Demartini, MD
Bell's palsy is a, usually, temporary weakness in the nerve (seventh cranial) that moves the muscles...
What facial complications are related to Bell's palsy?
Nerves must form connections in order to conduct impulses (electrical signals) that tell your mu...