On what parts of my body are bed sores most likely to occur?

Bed sores, or pressure ulcers, can occur on any part of the body where pressure and friction build up on the skin -- a result of staying in one position for too long. Bed sores are especially likely to occur in areas where the skin is stretched over a bone, such as the ankle, back, elbows, heels, and hips. The earliest sign of a bed sore is red skin that does not blanch when you touch it. Talk to your doctor about how to avoid bed sores by changing position and about how you can work together to ensure that any bed sore that develops doesn't worsen.

If you're immobilized and susceptible to getting bed sores, certain parts of your body are more likely to develop them than others. These are areas where pressure can become concentrated. If you're chair-bound, these areas include your spine, shoulder blades, tailbone, buttocks, and the backs of your legs. If you're bed-bound, these areas include your shoulder blades, hips, lower back, elbows, heels, and spine.

Continue Learning about Bed Sores (Pressure Ulcers)

How do bed sores affect the body?
Bed sores occur when pressure cuts off circulation to certain areas of skin and tissue. Because bloo...
How should I position myself in bed to avoid bed sores?
If you're immobilized and susceptible to bed sores, you may want to practice the following to find t...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with bed sores?
The number one thing to know about caring for someone with bed sores is that you should work wit...
How easily and quickly can a bed sore begin to form on the body?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Sores can form rapidly on those who are immobile or bedridden. Even just a few hours without movemen...