How should bed sores be cleaned?

To prevent your bed sores from becoming infected, it's important to keep them clean. A mild bed sore - in stage I - can be washed gently with soap and water. Sores in which the skin has been broken, however, need to be cleaned with saline solution every time you change the dressing. Antiseptics like iodine and hydrogen peroxide should not be used. More serious cases, where there is an open, sunken hole or signs of infection,  may need debridement or surgery, and should be treated by medical professionals.
Ask your doctor to explain the best ways to keep bed sores clean. You may be instructed on how to take care of your bed sores yourself and the doctor may suggest that you wear gloves to avoid spreading germs to other body parts. But if  your bed sores are advanced, they may need to be cleaned by a wound specialist.

Continue Learning about Bed Sores (Pressure Ulcers)

How easily and quickly can a bed sore begin to form on the body?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Sores can form rapidly on those who are immobile or bedridden. Even just a few hours without movemen...
Should I talk to my doctor about my bed sores symptoms?
If you have symptoms of bed sores, talk to your doctor immediately. The severity of bed sores can ad...
Can pressure ulcers be prevented?
Doreen RodoDoreen Rodo
Yes they can. It takes some work, especially if the person lacks mobility, but it can be done. Good ...
How do bed sores affect the body?
Bed sores occur when pressure cuts off circulation to certain areas of skin and tissue. Because bloo...