Do bed sores always progress through the four stages of severity?

Bed sores have been categorized into four stages of severity, ranging from the mildest - stage I - to the most severe - stage IV. In many cases they will progress in order, giving you time to prevent advancement into the more severe stages. Sometimes, however, the first sign of a problem can be a sore that is already in an advanced stage of severity.

Continue Learning about Bed Sores (Pressure Ulcers)

Where on the body do pressure ulcers usually form?
Jamie McGinnJamie McGinn
Bony prominences are the most common place to develop a pressure ulcer due to lack of underlying fat...
How do bed sores affect the body?
Bed sores occur when pressure cuts off circulation to certain areas of skin and tissue. Because bloo...
Should I talk to my doctor about my bed sores symptoms?
If you have symptoms of bed sores, talk to your doctor immediately. The severity of bed sores can ad...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with bed sores?
Many people susceptible to bed sores also have a lack of pain perception - due to a spinal injury, f...