How long does makeup last?

Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Emergency Medicine
As I’m writing this, I’m doing a mental inventory of what I need to check in my OWN makeup drawer!

While makeup doesn’t usually have a set expiration date, there are periods of time after which either the consistency could change, the color could become altered or it could be at greater risk of spreading infection. Toss anything that has a color change or smells funny, and stick to these rules of thumb:
  • Foundation – Keep liquids for 6 months to 1 year, powders for 2 years. Keeping them longer than that may lead to increased bacteria, as well as consistency changes.
  • Mascara and liquid eyeliner – Discard after 3 months. I know that doesn’t sound long, but it is going on your eyes!
  • Lipstick and liner – These can hold up better over time. Glosses and lipstick are good for 1-2 years, lipliner for 2 years or more.

Continue Learning about Beauty and Personal Care

Should You Wash Your Legs? Plus 6 Other Must-Know Showering Tips
In May 2019, a random tweet from a guy named Conor Arpwel had Twitter users in an uproar when he asked them one simple question: "Do you wash your leg...
How should I moisturize my lips to keep the skin healthy?
Maureen HerrmannMaureen Herrmann
Lips are very sensitive and can dry out easily if using the wrong products. Because our lips lack se...
5 Top Causes of Hair Loss
5 Top Causes of Hair Loss5 Top Causes of Hair Loss5 Top Causes of Hair Loss5 Top Causes of Hair Loss
Could it be stress, childbirth or your hair dying habit? Find out why your hair is falling out—and what you can do about it.
Hydrate Your Skin with Avocado
Hydrate Your Skin with Avocado