Why does a large woman have to spend more to dress well?

Tonya Bolden
Alternative & Complementary Medicine
I wear panty hose only when I want to. I buy fewer pairs, and when I do, I’m not paying that higher plus-size price. I can get them from a dollar store. I don’t, but I could! Typically, when a large woman wants to dress well, she has to spend more money on her wardrobe than a small woman does. Plus-size clothes cost more. Skinny people can wear just about anything and look okay, and even look chic in inexpensive things. I don’t think every woman can wear everything and look good in it. Not even skinny people. Leggings, spandex - need I say more?
Half the Mother, Twice the Love: My Journey to Better Health with Diabetes

As a talk-show host and inspirational speaker, Mother Love used to have to just grin and bear it -- all that extra weight and the poor health that went along with it. Today she can truly smile as she...

Continue Learning about Beauty & Culture

What are some advantages of being physically attractive?
Arthur W. Perry, MDArthur W. Perry, MD
How you look alters others’ perceptions of you. Like it or not, more attractive people have a lo...
Why do women feel defined by their looks?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
For women, life can often seem like a beauty pageant. Throughout every phase of our lives, from chil...
How do supermodels keep their skin young and healthy?
Cod liver oil is one thing that helped a supermodel to keep her skin young and healthy.Watch as supe...
Why is it important to avoid judging people based on their weight?
Katie Rickel, PhDKatie Rickel, PhD
The next time that you find yourself judging someone who struggles with their weight, consider the f...