My basketball pre-season just began, what should I do?

During pre-season you should incorporate more skills-practice and games, and less time in the weight room.  Many athletes make the mistake of resistance training with more intensity during the pre-season, compounding a steep increase in activity with the addition of hard practices and skills training.  This type of training volume can increase your risk of injury.  Your gym goals for the pre-season should be recovery from practice and maintaining the gains made in the off-season.  It is likely that you will need little, if any, power training and can reduce or eliminate speed training from your regimen.  The demands of practice will maintain any gains you have made.  On recovery day, you can focus on foam rolling, stretching, and dynamic flexibility.

Continue Learning about Basketball

Can SAQ drills be incorporated into my basketball skill practice?
Mike Elliott Mike Elliott
Speed, agility, and quickness (SAQ) drills can and should be a part of your basketball skill practic...
Will weight training mess up my jump shot?
Troy Taylor, NASM Elite TrainerTroy Taylor, NASM Elite Trainer
The key to making sure that your jump shot doesn't change when you begin a weight training program i...
What type of training will improve my basketball shooting ability?
Mike Elliott Mike Elliott
In addition to the answer provided by NASM, I would focus on core training and proper posture during...
What does a power training routine for basketball look like?
Generally, power training routines are comprised of 3-6 power exercises (1-2 for each muscle gro...