My basketball pre-season just began, what should I do?

During pre-season you should incorporate more skills-practice and games, and less time in the weight room.  Many athletes make the mistake of resistance training with more intensity during the pre-season, compounding a steep increase in activity with the addition of hard practices and skills training.  This type of training volume can increase your risk of injury.  Your gym goals for the pre-season should be recovery from practice and maintaining the gains made in the off-season.  It is likely that you will need little, if any, power training and can reduce or eliminate speed training from your regimen.  The demands of practice will maintain any gains you have made.  On recovery day, you can focus on foam rolling, stretching, and dynamic flexibility.

Continue Learning about Basketball

Can SAQ drills be incorporated into my basketball skill practice?
Yes, but you must pay special attention to the work-recovery ratio so that you are not overly fa...
What are the best whole body strength exercises for basketball players?
Integrated exercises are those exercises that combine an upper body and lower body movement into...
What are the best upper body strength exercises for basketball players?
Since basketball is a whole body exercise, compound movements (ones that employ several muscles ...
How can I add strength and endurance training into one basketball workout?
Supersets are a great way to incorporate both strength and endurance into your workout routine. ...