How can I improve my conditioning for basketball?

If you want improved body control, muscle strength and overall fitness level increase then you want to increase jumping abilities. Along with your usual workout you will want to add a plyometric exercise program, these are workout exercises to help you train, tone and increase your ability to jump and give your body an overall better sports conditioning workout. Plyometric exercise works your entire body including nerves, muscles and tendons. This type of exercise will benefit you whole body, improve your speed, power and agility. Plyometric exercises also benefit the neurological components in your body, which is great for overall health, stamina and strength. These types of exercise can increase risk of injury, so please ensure you have the physical strength and flexibility that is needed to complete this exercise regimen. Technique is very important, so you may want to consider a trainer to help you ensure that you are physically prepared for this level of sports/athletic training as well as making sure your technique is within safe a proper range to help keep you from injury.

The best way to improve conditioning for basketball is to get on the court and do court work. This can include all kinds of drills such as post-up drills, shooting drills and any type of drill that you can do on the court that mimics starting, stopping, jumping, cutting and running. Playing in pick-up games is the best way to condition for basketball. To supplement extra conditioning, we will use a bike, an elliptical trainer, a treadmill or have guys get in the pool, but nothing compares to getting an athlete on the court and actually doing basketball type of activity. Basketball is both an anaerobic and aerobic sport. You have to start and stop, jump and sprint, as well as go for a long period of time, so it is important to work on both the sprinting(short running bursts) and also on your endurance(longer bouts of running without stopping) to help maintain conditioning for the length of a game.

Continue Learning about Basketball

My basketball pre-season just began, what should I do?
During pre-season you should incorporate more skills-practice and games, and less time in the we...
What are the best lower body endurance exercises for a basketball player?
To build muscular endurance requires the muscles to work for an extended period of time. Exercis...
As a basketball player, will weight training slow me down?
Troy Taylor, NASM Elite TrainerTroy Taylor, NASM Elite Trainer
No, weight training when done correctly will give you increased strength and power as well as explos...
What are the best upper body strength exercises for basketball players?
There are many great upper body exercises for basketball players but I would recommend that you make...