As a basketball player, how can I assess my balance and coordination?

Balance and coordination is essential for all basketball players regardless of position. The shark skill test is a great way to assess your balance, coordination, and agility.  Create a 3 by 3 grid comprised of 9 boxes with each box12 inches wide and 12 inches long.  The grid should look like an oversized tic-tac-toe grid.  Start by balancing on your right leg in the center box.  Hop on your right leg from the center box to the top center box and back again.  Then, hop to the box in the upper right corner and back to the center.  Now, hop to the box to the right and back.  Continue this pattern moving clockwise around the entire grid.  Remember to move back to the middle box each time before moving on to the next box in the pattern and to not let your left foot touch the ground.  Once you have completed the drill in a clockwise fashion, repeat by going counter-clockwise.  Now, repeat the drill by hopping on your left leg.  To test your progress, time how long it takes your to get all the way around the grid.  This should give you a good measure of comparison as you work your way through your training program.

Continue Learning about Basketball

How can I improve my coordination and balance for basketball?
Improving coordination and balance is a common problem for powerful athletes especially basketball p...
My basketball season just ended, what now?
Aaron Nelson Aaron Nelson
Give yourself some time to recover, both physically and mentally. This is the maintenance phase of y...
Are biceps and triceps exercises necessary for basketball training?
Tyler Wallace Tyler Wallace
Biceps and triceps, as all major muscle groups in the body, are important for basketball but they do...
How do I get started on a strength training program for basketball?
Aaron Nelson Aaron Nelson
The first thing to do is a thorough assessment which includes the overhead squat, single leg squat, ...