If I'm in a recovery period, how do I begin my basketball training?

After your recovery period, you need to create a training program that is going to both solidify your foundation and contribute to a new level of performance.  Endurance and stability training create a platform from which greater strength and power can be attained.  You should select a weight load that allows you to perform 12-20 repetitions before failure, and select exercises that will challenge your balance and stability.  For example, you can replace your standard push-up with push-ups on a stability ball; try rows while standing on one leg, and perform single-leg deadlifts. 
Mike Elliott
Fitness
Once you have allowed yourself adequate time to recover (2-4 Weeks), you should dedicate some time to rehabilitating any lingering injuries or issues.  Working with your National Academy of Sports Medicine (NASM) certified Athletic Trainer or Certified Personal Trainer on an individualized Corrective Exercise Program can help you accomplish this.  These exercises, stretches and muscle lengthening strategies, are tailored to your personal needs, thus helping you to recover in a more timely manner.  They also provide a great foundation to stability, strength, power, speed, and agility exercises that you will want to incorporate into your traiing prior to your next season.

Continue Learning about Basketball

What are the best lower body endurance exercises for a basketball player?
To build muscular endurance requires the muscles to work for an extended period of time. Exercis...
Should I incorporate Olympic lifts into my basketball off-season training?
Yes, but only after you have allowed a couple weeks for recovery and have built a base of endura...
How often should I incorporate power training into my basketball workouts?
Performing power training routines one month out of every three is plenty to see transferrable r...
My basketball pre-season just began, what should I do?
During pre-season you should incorporate more skills-practice and games, and less time in the we...