What are the best exercises to increase leg strength for basketball?

Leg strength is extremely important to basketball.  Your exercise program should reflect this.  At least half of your resistance training program should be spent on core and lower body activity.  Incorporating squats, step-ups, and lunges into your resistance training routine is a must.  Performing step-ups forward, sideways, and turning onto a step will increase leg strength in all directions.  Lunges can also be done side to side and with a twist to increase multi-directional strength.  Dead lifts, and olympic lifts may be incorporated into an advanced training program for further benefit.  Power exercises like box jumps, tuck jumps, and depth jumps can be added in vertical jump training programs.
Basketball is a sport where the athlete is running, jumping, lunging and turning in several different planes of motion.  Performing leg strengthening exercises such as walking lunges, stationary squats, single-leg squats, static jump squats and step-ups on a bench will all prepare the athlete to better manuever on the court with fewer injuries.

There are many great exercises that will develop lower body strength however my personal favorite for a young athlete would be a barbell squat. When this exercise becomes the foundation of a larger all inclusive program it delivers great results. Make sure that you get some help placing the barbell squat within a larger program and that you are instructed on how to properly perform a squat but other than that enjoy the increases in strength.

Continue Learning about Basketball

How do I improve my ability to hold position in the basketball key?
Holding your position in the paint requires stability as well as lower-body and core strength.  ...
What is the most important aspect of a basketball center's conditioning?
The most important aspect of a basketball training program should be determined by a self-apprai...
What should I do during the basketball off-season to increase my power?
During the off-season, rather than immediately focusing on power-specific training such as jumpi...
What agility drills should I do during pre-season basketball training?
Ladder drills are wonderful for improving foot work, agility, and coordination.  They can be easil...