How can I get faster?

This is a little similar to the question on how to improve quickness for sport. As far as basketball goes, it is played on a 90-foot court that is 50 foot side-to-side, so doing sprints such as 30-40 yard sprints could be important. We like to do some track work with our athletes such as running 40s, 100s or 200s. 100 yards on the track is obviously longer than the length of the court, but that way we can work on both speed and a little bit of the endurance component. Short bursts such as the 30-40 yard sprints will definitely help get the athlete faster. Strengthening major muscle groups, especially in the legs will help you produce greater force and power, thus helping you propel your body forward. Working on repetition sprints while continually trying to improve your time is also beneficial.

Speed is an integral part of every sport and can be expressed as any one of, or combination of, the following: maximum speed, elastic strength (power) and speed endurance.

Improvement of running speed is a complex process that is controlled by the brain and nervous system. In order for a runner to move more quickly, the leg muscles of course have to contract more quickly, but the brain and nervous systems have to learn to control these faster movements efficiently.

I highly recommend you to start using the OPT model developed by NASM, it will teach your nervous and muscular systems how to work together more efficiently and will definitely impact your speed.

Continue Learning about Basketball

Are split routines appropriate for basketball players?
Splitting the body into muscle groups that are trained on separate days is not the best way to t...
What is the most important aspect of a basketball center's conditioning?
The most important aspect of a basketball training program should be determined by a self-apprai...
What type of training will improve my basketball shooting ability?
First, working on your lower-body strength, power, and endurance.  When players get tired late in ...
As a basketball player, how can I assess my strength?
Basketball is a whole body activity that requires the strength of multiple muscles performing in...