What are the best upper body strength exercises for basketball players?

Since basketball is a whole body exercise, compound movements (ones that employ several muscles together) are more appropriate for increasing sports performance than single joint, isolated exercises.  Example exercises include bench press, rows, pull-ups, and overhead shoulder press. Strength exercises should be performed using heavier weights for less repetitions.  For example, perform 6-12 reps at roughly 75% of your one repetition maximum. 

There are many great upper body exercises for basketball players but I would recommend that you make sure a good old fashion push-up is part of your program. The push-up develops chest, delt, and tricep strength but it also strengthens the core. The push-up should be a part of a much larger program but if you wanted something to do right now try a set of 10 push-ups. Then try 3 sets of 10. If this is easy then try 3 sets of 15 for your next workout. If this is easy try 3 sets of 20 for your next workout. Obviously I am oversimplifying a program design here but until you get all your ducks in a row; play basketball and do 3 sets of 20 push-ups twice a week, not two days in a row and you will increase your upper body fitness.

Continue Learning about Basketball

What are the best core strength exercises for basketball players?
There are a variety of exercises that can be done to improve core strength. The key is how these...
Should I play basketball even if I am experiencing pain?
Playing basketball through pain is not recommended. Often this exacerbates injury or reinforces ...
What basketball off-season training will improve my strength?
During the basketball off-season, begin training by developing proper amounts of stabilition str...
How can I get faster?
Aaron Nelson Aaron Nelson
This is a little similar to the question on how to improve quickness for sport. As far as basketball...