Why are only wooden bats allowed in major league baseball?

Wooden bats are the only bat that is allowed in major league baseball mainly for protection of the athletes playing the field and more specifically the pitcher. This regulation allows the players to have enough time to react to the ball once it is hit. (This answer provided for NATA by the Saint Louis University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Baseball

What is recommended to reduce shoulder overuse injuries in baseball?
Shoulder girdle health can be maintained by employing a regular flexibility and strength trainin...
Will I hit the ball farther with an aluminum bat or a wood bat?
Aluminum bats typically produce greater velocity on the ball, but the ball's distance potential ...
How can I assess lower-body power in baseball and softball players?
The double-leg vertical jump is often considered the best measure of lower-body power. It is als...
What postural assessments are useful for baseball and softball players?
A static postural assessment can help identify classic distortion syndromes or asymmetries. The ...