How is speed measured in baseball and softball players?

Perhaps the easiest tests of speed for baseball or softball players would be to start at home plate and measure the time it takes to run to each base (i.e. home to first, home to second, home to third, home to home). To make the test even more functional or game specific, have each player start in the batters box, swing the bat, and then take off as if running-out a hit in a game. A variation of this test is to start at first, second, or third base and measure the time it takes to run to home plate. You can start from a lead-off position (cross-over to sprint) or from a drop-step (back foot on base).

Continue Learning about Baseball

Will running stairs help my baseball performance?
Mark Dickey , NASM Elite TrainerMark Dickey , NASM Elite Trainer
Yes running stairs will prepare your body for baseball and the opportunity to increase your performa...
How can I assess lower-body power in baseball and softball players?
The double-leg vertical jump is often considered the best measure of lower-body power. It is als...
How can I assess upper-body strength in baseball and softball players?
Upper-body strength can be measured using a maximal strength test such as a bench press, or a st...
What is recommended to reduce shoulder overuse injuries in baseball?
The best prevention to guard against shoulder overuse injuries in baseball is optimum pitching and t...