Should I ride my bike to help my baseball?

As an alternative to running, biking is not only helpful for baseball, but a great way to stay in shape all year round. Biking provides aerobic exercise, leg strength and endurance, with low impact on the body.

You can receive more overall benefits from a dual action stationary exercise bike, (with arm handles that move along with the pedals and fans used for resistance and cooling), which involve the upper body, adding increased cardio and endurance conditioning to the workout.

The increased blood flow in the shoulder and arm from using a dual action stationary exercise bike is a very valuable benefit to baseball players. The increased blood flow flushes out the residue in the joints and aids in the repair and recovery from the wear and tear from throwing, particularly for pitchers.

If running is not possible due to injury or some other limitation, then cycling is a fine alternative. Many baseball players do ride either a stationary bike or a bicycle on the road to help improve their cardiovascular system and increase leg strength. The endurance benefits of a stronger heart, increased mitochondrial density in muscle tissue and more efficient fuel utilization, are all benefits that can be obtained through the integration of a cycling program. And all will aid in an athlete’s ability to perform up to their potential, particularly late in the game.

Continue Learning about Baseball

What are some tests to measure agility in baseball and softball players?
Some common tests of agility include the T-drill for time, the 5-10-5 test (also known as pro-ag...
How can I assess lower-body strength in baseball and softball players?
Lower body strength can be measured using a barbell squat strength assessment. When performing t...
As a catcher, how can I keep my knees healthy?
Sure, the physical stress of being in a catcher's position can be challenging, but it does not h...
How is speed measured in baseball and softball players?
Perhaps the easiest tests of speed for baseball or softball players would be to start at home pl...