How can I assess lower-body power in baseball and softball players?

The double-leg vertical jump is often considered the best measure of lower-body power. It is also a measure of gross athleticism, and in many sports has been proven to be a predictor of performance. This assessment can be performed with a specialized apparatus called a Vertec or simply a some chalk and a wall. When using chalk and a wall, the athlete stands with one shoulder next to a wall and reaches up with the hand closest to the wall as high as possible while keeping the feet flat on the ground. The top of the fingertips is marked on the wall. This is called the standing reach height. The athlete then stands slightly away from the wall, and leaps vertically as high as possible touching the wall with the chalk at the highest point of the jump. The difference in distance between the standing reach height and the jump height is the score. The best of three attempts is recorded.

Continue Learning about Baseball

Should I ride my bike to help my baseball?
If running is not possible due to injury or some other limitation, then cycling is a fine altern...
Why can some baseball players throw harder after ligament surgery?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
The damage caused to the ulnar collateral ligament can occur over the course of several years and a ...
How do I choose the right size baseball or softball glove?
The size of glove depends upon the position you play. If you are a first baseman or a catcher, you s...
Will I hit the ball farther with an aluminum bat or a wood bat?
Aluminum bats typically produce greater velocity on the ball, but the ball's distance potential ...