How do I choose the right size baseball or softball glove?

The size of glove depends upon the position you play. If you are a first baseman or a catcher, you should begin using a specialty glove (mitt) as soon as possible. If you are an outfielder, a larger glove is better. In the infield, besides the two positions already mentioned, players will benefit from a smaller glove to allow for quicker transfer when attempting to throw a runner out. It is very important to make sure your hand fits comfortably but snugly in the glove and that you break the glove in properly. (This answer provided for NATA by the Saint Louis University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Baseball

How can I assess upper-body power in baseball and softball players?
Upper-body power in baseball or softball players can be assessed using a test such as the rotati...
As a catcher, how can I keep my knees healthy?
Sure, the physical stress of being in a catcher's position can be challenging, but it does not h...
How can I assess upper-body strength in baseball and softball players?
Upper-body strength can be measured using a maximal strength test such as a bench press, or a st...
What does it mean for a catcher to frame pitches?
Framing is a technique that catchers use to make a pitch that is close to the strike zone look l...