How can I assess upper-body power in baseball and softball players?

Upper-body power in baseball or softball players can be assessed using a test such as the rotation medicine ball throw. This assessment measures total-body rotational strength and power. Use the procedure described below to perform the assessment. The athlete begins perpendicular to the throwing-zone holding the ball with both hands. They rotate through the hips (similar to a batter’s swing) and throw the ball forward as far as possible. Compare right and left sides to gain a complete understanding of the athlete's power ability.

Continue Learning about Baseball

How is speed measured in baseball and softball players?
Perhaps the easiest tests of speed for baseball or softball players would be to start at home pl...
Does the elliptical machine or swimming help with baseball performance?
Mark Dickey , NASM Elite TrainerMark Dickey , NASM Elite Trainer
To improve your endurance, the elliptical machine workouts, as with most motion cardio equipments, f...
How do I choose the right size baseball or softball glove?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
The size of glove depends upon the position you play. If you are a first baseman or a catcher, you s...
What is recommended to reduce shoulder overuse injuries in baseball?
Shoulder girdle health can be maintained by employing a regular flexibility and strength trainin...