How do I determine what amount of hair loss is excessive?

The thought of going bald is as unpleasant as boiled Brussels sprouts for anyone at any age. The good news is that most of the hair you lose is normal. In fact, you may be surprised to know that it’s normal to lose up to 100 hairs a day, even more on the days you wash your hair.

If you are worried about hair loss, here is a way to tell if your shedding is normal. If you have enough hair, try the hair-pull test: Take your thumb and forefinger and grab about 20 to 40 hairs about an inch from your scalp. Tug the hair hard enough to pull up your scalp (we said tug, not yank!), and slowly slide your fingers all along the shaft to the end. Count the number of hairs that fall out. You should see no more than six hairs in your hand. If you find more than about six in your hand, talk to your doctor.

Continue Learning about Baldness and Hair Loss

What do I need to know about caring for someone with baldness?
Caring for someone with baldness does not typically require any special training or equipment. In th...
Can hair loss signal a more serious medical condition?
YES!! Are your previously thick and luxurious tresses thinning as quickly as the rain forests in Sou...
Why don't women go bald?
Hair is under the delicate control of sex-based hormones, including testosterone. That's why men hav...
What Supplements Can Help Women with Thinning Hair?