Can hair loss signal a more serious medical condition?

YES!! Are your previously thick and luxurious tresses thinning as quickly as the rain forests in South and Central America? It might be hereditary balding. But hair loss can also be related to serious health conditions. In fact, hair loss can sometimes be the first sign of a disease such as a hormonal condition, autoimmune disease, or a protein deficiency. Hair loss can also be a sign of diabetes and cancer, but the leading culprits include the autoimmune disease lupus, scleroderma, and thyroid disease, both underactive (hypothyroidism) and overactive (hyperthyroidism).

If you have been seeing a change in the amount of hair you are losing, over and above what is normal for you, talk to your doctor.

Continue Learning about Baldness and Hair Loss

Is Testosterone Making You Go Bald?
Is Testosterone Making You Go Bald?
With more men choosing to shave their heads these days, it's clear that bald is beautiful. Still, watching your hairline recede is by no means a pasti...
I notice hair in the tub and in my hairbrush; am I going bald?
Hair growth occurs in a cyclical fashion consisting of three distinct phases. The resting phase, or ...
Is baldness serious?
Baldness in itself is not a serious condition, however, it can be indicative of other underlying con...
What Supplements Can Help Women with Thinning Hair?