I notice hair in the tub and in my hairbrush; am I going bald?

Hair growth occurs in a cyclical fashion consisting of three distinct phases. The resting phase, or telogen, lasts 3-5 months during which the hair shaft remains connected to the associated hair follicle and no further growth occurs. Afterward, the hair falls from the hair follicle and another growth phase begins. Each day, approximately 50-100 scalp hairs fall from their respective hair follicles as these follicles reach the end of the resting phase and move into another growth phase. Thus, some hair loss each day is to be expected and considered normal.

Continue Learning about Baldness and Hair Loss

Is Testosterone Making You Go Bald?
Is Testosterone Making You Go Bald?
With more men choosing to shave their heads these days, it's clear that bald is beautiful. Still, watching your hairline recede is by no means a pasti...
Should I talk to my doctor about my baldness symptoms?
Baldness can result from a variety of factors other than heredity, including diseases, infections, c...
What are the symptoms of baldness?
The most common type of baldness is androgenetic baldness, also known as pattern baldness. This type...
What Supplements Can Help Women with Thinning Hair?