What are the treatment options for baldness?

The treatment options available for baldness depend largely on the underlying cause. For pattern baldness, drugs such as topical monoxide and oral finasteride may promote new hair growth and decrease the rate of hair loss. The results from these drugs may vary widely from one individual to the next. However, finasteride is not approved for use in women. Surgical treatment of androgenetic alopecia consists of hair transplantation, sometimes in conjunction with scalp reduction procedures. The treatment of reactive forms of baldness, such as those that occur as a result of infection, topical chemicals, or inflammation, is generally aimed at removing the underlying cause.

Continue Learning about Baldness and Hair Loss

I notice hair in the tub and in my hairbrush; am I going bald?
Hair growth occurs in a cyclical fashion consisting of three distinct phases. The resting phase, or ...
Why don't women go bald?
Hair is under the delicate control of sex-based hormones, including testosterone. That's why men hav...
Is there a vaccine for baldness?
Generally speaking, vaccines are useful in guarding against viral illnesses. Most forms of baldness,...
What Supplements Can Help Women with Thinning Hair?