What questions will my dentist ask about my breath at my visit?

If you’re concerned about bad breath, see your dentist. Bad breath can be caused by a number of sources. Your dentist can help identify the cause and determine the best treatment. 

Your dentist may ask about:
  • foods you are eating
  • if you smoke or use tobacco products
  • do you have any other health problems, which bad breath may be a side effect for
  • if you're experiencing dry mouth or other oral health issues
  • are you dieting, as infrequent eating can cause bad breath
  • are you brushing and flossing regularly

At your six-months checkup your dentist will ask if you have any new dental concerns. At this visit, it's important to tell your dentist about your diabetes medications and your blood glucose control, as this can affect your dental health. If you have experienced breath odor, let your dentist know. If the breath odor is not from a sinus infection or throat infection, then it may come from an abscessed tooth (tooth infection). Explain to your dentist how the odor smells. This information will help guide your dentist in figuring out the cause of the breath odor. Also, tell your dentist about your oral care regimen with tooth brushing and flossing. It may be that you need to floss more efficiently or brush your teeth differently or for a longer period of time.

Continue Learning about Bad Breath (Halitosis)

Breath Stress . . . Be Gone!
Breath Stress . . . Be Gone!
Get an upset stomach and here's what else you can get: bad breath. How can you keep that total turnoff from happening? Yogurt. Not only is it easy on ...
Is halitosis the same as bad breath?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Halitosis is the medical term for bad breath. If you’re concerned about bad breath, see your dentist...
Can someone be mistaken about their bad breath (halitosis)?
There are people who believe that they have bad breath (halitosis) when their breath is fine. This i...
Embarrassing Stomach Issues, Solved
Embarrassing Stomach Issues, Solved